The Cafelat Robot is a manual espresso coffee maker with few moving parts. This low complexity (in number of parts), high quality build setup means the machine will last a lifetime. Here’s an example of an espresso shot being pulled using the cafelat robot.
- The Robot is a small, high quality manual coffee maker that makes real espresso
- It uses few parts, no complicated electronics and only premium materials like stainless steel – it is completely plastic free
- All you need is ground coffee, some hot water from a kettle and you are all set
- The whole process is simple and takes just a few minutes – no need for any capsule machine and less plastic waste for the landfills
- Features a professional 58mm stainless steel filter basket
- Also has a bottomless portafilter just like pro machines
- Save money on expensive plastic capsules
- Design is registered and barista version is patent pending
58mm filter baskets are the same size as professional semi-automatic machines. Our baskets are extremely high quality, they are made by the same factory that makes all the best baskets in the world.
Stainless Steel Tamper
1 piece stainless steel tamper designed and machined to precisely fit snugly in the basket and has tapered side walls to prevent ground being sucked back when you lift the tamper.
Our Patent Pending system takes the pressure reading from inside the basket. Add to that the manual pressing of the lever arms, it enables you to manipulate pre-infusion, flow and pressure in real-time to get the best from your coffee.
Ignore the magic 9 bar, that figure originally referred to the pump output pressure of a Faema E61 machine, when in actual fact the pressure at the group will be lower, maybe even 1-2 bar lower. Traditional lever machines (as measured by us) typically extract at 6-7 bars, and since the basket and piston on the Robot are the same size, we suggest you initially aim for 6-7 bars as well and adjust as preferred.
The Robot is clearly not going to give you a La Marzocco type flat temperature profile. But water off the boil poured into a gently pre-heated basket will yield approx 95 deg c water, and will give you up to 88 deg c coffee output from the basket.
Certainly a 2:1 ratio of beverage mass to ground coffee is possible i.e. a 16g coffee dose can easily yield a 32g beverage weight. You can increase the beverage weight up to 40-45g if needed. Bottomless is best. For best results we recommend using the portafilter without the spouts – but when using the pressurised basket it is best to use with the spouts attached. It’s a lever machine. Lever machines can be very forgiving thanks to their gentle pre-infusion and the soft ramp up to full pressure.
Weight: Approx 2.8kg (6.2lbs), including the tamper
Material: – The main body and bases are aluminum – All other parts are stainless steel – The piston seal is FDA approved silicone – It is completely plastic free
Colour: Matte Black, Retro Green, Blue, Red
* portafilter without the spouts installed
* non-pressurized basket
* stainless steel tamper